Always exciting to attend the NVTC Data Center & Cloud Committee meetings; this morning the speakers were Buddy Rizer and Dr. A. Fletcher Mangum.
Some of the highlights from the meeting:
- As other states catch up, they are giving lucrative incentives for data centers. We have to realize the competitive environment where Northern Virginia (NOVA) is no longer the "only" option
- NOVA surpassed NY/NJ region as largest data center market in the U.S.
- Five of the top cloud campuses are in NOVA -and particularly in Loudoun and Prince William Counties.
- Loudoun County offers great incentives from utility rates (Dominion Power), reclaim water, time to market, workforce, etc.
- Maintaining the Sales Tax Incentive is crucial as other states are directly competing in that front.
- Average wage growth for the data center sector is very healthy and surpasses other industry sectors.