Well, there are several factors that are cooked into the formula, but here are 5 basic parameters which would give VIP status to any potential site:
1. Cost of Power. Think why Quincy, Ashburn, Prineville etc... attract big data center names. A fraction of difference in utility costs (cents!) make a difference when selecting a site.
2. Availability of Power. Can the utility absorb 20 MW to 30 MW easily?
3. Size of the incoming electrical feeds. What is the voltage that the utility can provide to the site?
4. Telecom Connectivity. How many telecom providers are available within the vicinity of the site.
5. Tax incentives. Are there any federal, state, or local municipal tax incentives to attract you to move to the site.
There you go.
In a nutshell, if you have these five essential parameters working in your favor, you will earn VIP status for your data center pretty quickly!